Pin It Button

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

What a Day...And I Come Home to Some Super Sweet Bloggers

Let's start with my adventure today. As you all know I went with my momma for her to get a procedure done and it went well. They have to run some tests still, but I am keeping my fingers crossed that everything will turn out a-okay.

After that was over we went shopping at some of my favorite places Target, Michaels, and Hobby Lobby. We also went to Staples for penny deals. I'm not sharing all of my fabulous finds in this post, but I plan to be taking pictures of some and posting them on my What I'm Loving Wednesday tomorrow.

Anyways Target was a bad experience today. We went there and they were restocking the Dollar Spot (in other words there was NOTHING because they had just started) and unfortunately it is almost two hours away. Looks like I will be making the trip with my momma again next week (she goes every week to get produce). Hopefully I can find those fabulous lightbulb sticky notes that I am seeing people  have been finding. In case you haven't seen this previously; part of my theme is lightbulbs (our school PBIS theme is "You Have the Power..." and lightbulbs are a big deal with this). So basically I NEED those! Okay sorry I got a little sidetracked--there was a story going on here. Anyways...we were shopping on Target and we went to check out (with very little). As I am standing there paying an employee who was behind me drops a glass candle and it shatters to pieces. It was right behind my legs so I ended up with shards of glass in my leg. Of course, the employee is freaking out and worried about cleaning up the glass, but doesn't seem to care that some got in my leg. All I got from him was an insincere apology. Very disappointed in that.

So finally I make it home and come to check out my lovely blog. What did I find? Not one, not two, but THREE nominations for the Liebster Award. How awesome is that? Those sweet bloggers sure do know how to make my day. So without further ado I give you my post on the Liebster Award.

I was nominated by these three lovely blogs:
Math Madness
A Teaspoon of Teaching
Teaching With Giggles

Thanks so much ladies!!! You are all F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S!!


So what is the Liebster Award? When I first saw it I had no clue. I had to go read the descriptions and then I felt honored to be nominated. 

Liebster means beloved, cute, lovely, dearest, and welcome. All qualities I love to hear about my little blog.

The award is given to up and coming bloggers with less than 200 followers (before long I won't be in that category).

Here are the rules for accepting this award:
1. Link back to the blog that nominated me--done, done, and done (see above)
2. Nominate 5-11 blogs with fewer than 200 followers--done (see below)
3. Answer the questions posted for you by your nominator--done (WOW that is a lot of questions; you guys will learn a lot about me)
4. Share 11 random facts about yourself-- done (aren't they great?)
5. Create 11 questions for your nominees-- done (make sure you answer them nominees)
6. Contact your nominees by commenting on their blog or sending them an email to communicate the nomination-- kinda done (I will be commenting when this blog post is done)

So here are my nominees:
2. Breanne @ Ms. Third Grade
3. LaSchu @ Enchanting Elementary
5. Pam @ Moments to Teach

Now for my questions from Teaching With Giggles:
1. How long have you been teaching? 
~I am getting ready to start my third year of teaching third grade (three must be my number this year...hehe)
2. What is your favorite grade to teach?
~Funny thing is before I got my job, I always said I wanted to teach third grade. It was like I was destined to teach 3rd. And I L-O-V-E it! I have had experiences in just about every other grade when I was in college and 3rd grade is by far my favorite.
3. What is your favorite college memory?
~This one is very bittersweet, but my favorite college memory is the few short months I got with my favorite roommate. A little background here, my first year of college was spent at a jr. college close to home since they were giving me full-ride. I had a very bad experience with roommates during that first year. My second year I transferred to a four-year college. I once again had a bad experience with a roommate; this time I was luckily able to switch rooms and found a fabulous roommate. I switched rooms late in September and was lucky to spend about 5 months being her roommate. Unfortunately that February she was driving back to the dorm from home and hit black ice. The wreck was fatal and I was left without a roommate. It was a really rough time for me and every February I still struggle with it, but I try to remember the good times we had. I would definitely say that those months were my favorite memories from college. She had so much of an impact on mine and my husband's lives that we are going to be naming our first daughter after her.
Sorry about the sad story there, but thought the story would make you all to understand a little better why I chose that as my favorite college memory.
Wow, things got real!
Moving on...
4. What is your favorite grade school memory?
~This definitely has to be helping my third grade teacher out in the classroom during recess time when I was unable to participate due to doctor orders. I loved helping her out. Funny thing is, I am now teaching third grade with her. How awesome is that?
5. Have you lived in more than one state?
~Yes I lived in a different state for college. I now work in the state I grew up in, but for the few years of college I was in the next state over.
6. What is your dream vacation spot?
~I would have to say that is Barcelona, Spain. I have always said I want to go there. Maybe one day I will.
7. If you were stranded on a deserted island, what would you take?
~Wow, that is a tough one. If I was stranded on a deserted island, I would take my hubby. I hate being away from him, so he would need to be there with me.
8. Do you prefer hot or cold weather? Why?
~Another tough one; I hate being hot and I hate being cold. If I had to choose one I would choose cold weather mostly because that means it is around Christmas time and I L-O-V-E Christmas!
9. If you won the lottery, what would be the first thing you would buy?
~I do not if this is really considered buying, but the first thing I would do is pay off my school debt, my hubby's school debt, my momma's school debt, and my siblings' school debt. College is expensive!
10. What is your dream car?
~I'm actually loving my Caliber right now. The only thing I would change on it is the color. I don't know that there is any other car I would really want. Maybe some extra features on my Caliber?
11. What is something you never leave home without?
~Definitely my cell phone. I take that baby everywhere.

Questions from A Teaspoon of Teaching:
1. If you could be any animal what would you be and why?
~I would be a monkey because they are my favorite animals. I would love to go swinging through the trees with no fear of falling.
2. Have you read anything lately? If so, what? 
~I am currently reading Teach Like a Pirate. Oh, how much I love this book. It is truly inspiring and a life changer.
3. If you weren't a teacher, what would you be?
~I've thought about this many times and I cannot come up with an answer. I was destined to be a teacher and there is nothing else I could imagine myself doing. Teaching is my world.
4. What is your favorite T.V. show? 
~Hmm; I think I would have to go with How I Met Your Mother and The Big Bang Theory. These are two shows that my hubby and I agree on loving to watch.
5. What hobby do you have?
~My hobbies are always changing; I am not very consistent with them. Right now my hobby is creating items for my TPT store. If it wasn't so hot, I would say running.
6. What is your favorite store at the mall?
~I don't really shop at the mall a lot because the closest one is almost two hours away. 
7. What would be the perfect hours for a school day and why?
~8:30-3:30; I don't like super early mornings, but I also like time at the end of the day so I think this is a perfect balance. My schedule is almost that (we go 8:05-3:05).
8. If you could go anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?
That would be the same as my dream vacation answer. I would love to go to Barcelona, Spain. It has always been a dream of mine.
9. If you could win any prize what would it be? (Grammy, Oscar, Emmy, Pulitzer, Olympic, Nobel Peace Prize, or any other)
~I don't know if this is a considered a prize, but I would truly be honored for it to happen. I would love to see one of my track athletes go on to compete in the Olympics and know that they got their start with my hubby and I as their coaches. We love our athletes and that feeling is definitely mutual. Several of them tell us that if they ever make it that far they would say it was because of our influence. Isn't that great to hear?
10. What is your favorite subject to teach? Why?
~My favorite subject to teach is reading. I love reading children's books to my students. I also enjoy watching my kiddos grow as readers during their time spent in my classroom.
11. What is your dream vacation?
~See previous questions; aka a trip to Barcelona, Spain.

Questions from Math Madness:
1. What is your greatest accomplishment?
~That would have to be completing my first half marathon with my dad. I have completed several with him now and am proud of them all. Those are tough races.
2. If you could visit anywhere in the world, where would you go?
~I'm seeing a common theme here with these questions. Can you guess my answer? Did you guess Barcelona? Well you're wrong...haha...okay I'm just kidding. If you guessed Barcelona, you are definitely right.
3. What is your favorite part about teaching?
~That would have to be seeing all of the growth in the students as a result of what I am doing right in my classroom. I love watching them grow and knowing I had an impact on their lives.
4. What is your favorite all time movie?
~Definitely The Ron Clark Story; that movie was a powerful movie. Ron Clark is amazing!
5. What would your last meal be if you had to choose?
~I don't want to think about that, but I guess steak, homemade mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, and peas. Yum!
6. One item you could not live without...
~Does my hubby count? I think so...and I could not live without him. Can you tell I love him? I mean I can't live without him and if I was stranded on a deserted island he would be the one thing I would take. True love there!
7. What is your favorite breakfast food?
~Eggs and toast...yum! Man now I want some!
8. If you could teach any grade and/or subject what would they be?
~Third grade; wouldn't change that! L-O-V-E it!
9. Favorite color to paint your nails?
~Coral; it's my go-to color for my toes!
10. Who is your hero?
~My daddy; he has overcome a lot. He had some issues early in my life due to depression. He switched jobs and worked hard to turn his life around. He started running when my sister started and then continued when I started. Now he runs all of the time. He ran his first marathon a couple years ago and qualified for the Boston Marathon, which he went on to run. He is awesome! I L-O-V-E him!
11. Blogging makes me feel...
~AMAZING!! I have found a passion in blogging lately and I am crazy for it! It is a great outlet. It is also wonderful at inspiring me to be the teacher I was to be. I am always striving to improve myself and blogging really helps me do just that.

Okay now I have to share 11 random facts about me, which is a little hard since I shared so much with you all in my questions. Well, here goes nothing:
1~ I have a medical condition called Nuero Cardio Genic Reflex Syncape. I was diagnosed with it when I was in 3rd grade (those were some scary times; good thing I had a great teacher (remember she is now my coworker...how awesome)). I have only met two other people who have been diagnosed with it. Yeah it's really rare. They have come to the conclusion that it is hereditary though because my niece has a form of it. So by now, I am sure you are thinking, what is that? Well, let me give you my short speech that I give many others who have wondered the same thing. Basically it means my body thinks I am dehydrated when I am not and it will just shut down and I pass out. When I first started experiencing spells, I didn't know they were coming so I had some big crashes to the ground. It took many scary months and tests before I finally went through the tilt table test and was diagnosed. Now that I have grown up with it I have learned how to control it. I have to be careful not to stand in one place too long or get up too fast. I also have to be extra careful about hydration. Those two things combined tend to prevent most of my spells. There are certain factors that make me more likely to have a spell. Those are getting too hot, exhaustion,  extreme stress, and getting shots apparently (learned that one the hard way). I also now know when a spell is coming on ahead of time and know to get down and get someone to get me water. It freaks a lot of people out, but does no harm to me. The only harm is if I fall.
2~I became an aunt at the age of 4; I know crazy. She is more like my sister! I love her to death (and my other niece and nephew).
3~I am going to become a great aunt in December (this fact makes this aunt a little sad since I always thought I would be a mom before a great aunt, but I love her and I am here for her)
4~My chihuahua is my baby; I feel like it is my own kid and my whole family is the same way. My parents and grandparents even call him their grand puppy. 
5~I am addicted to back to school sales; who can resist penny deals?
6~I LOVE coaching jr. high track with my hubby. Many people think we are crazy for coaching together, but we are a perfect match. Our backgrounds bring a lot of expertise in the areas. We also coach with my dad who brings a lot of background as well. We have completely turned around the jr. high program in our district.
7~I am a HUGE daddy's girl! 
8~My nieces and nephew called me Aunt Koolaid when they were little
9~I cannot snap, whistle, or wink (and of course the hubby rubs it in all of the time)
10~I have a classroom granny and I LOVE it; my momma has gone back to get her masters degree and because of that she had Fridays free last year so she spent Friday afternoons in my classroom. All my kiddos called her granny. I am hoping she can be granny again this year!
11~I now have a little brother who is the same age as my kiddos that I teach (he's really the hubby's lil brother). It is so crazy to think he is going to be in third grade this year.

So there you have it. A LOT of things about me. I hope this gave you a little insight into my life. It sure did give my hands some cramps.

Now for those lovely bloggers that I nominated, here are your 11 questions:
1) If you could have any superpower what would it be? Why?
2) What is your favorite teaching item? Why?
3) If you could relive a day in your past, what day would it be? Why?
4) What are you looking forward to most about the upcoming school year?
5) Why did you decide to start blogging?
6) If someone were to write a book about you, what would it be called?
7) What is your favorite book to read to students?
8) What is a classroom item you don't have that you wish you did? Why?
9) What advice would you give a first year teacher?
10) Why did you decide to become a teacher?
11) Who is your hero? Why?

2 comments:

  1. Loved reading all of your responses! Your college story gave me goose bumps, so sorry for your lose. Teaching with Giggles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Veronica. It was a rough time in my life, but I was blessed to have her for those few months and I gained some great support from it--her parents. I am in constant contact with them. In a way I feel like I am helping them (she was an only child so having me in their lives makes it a little easier).

      Delete